Summertime is getting closer and closer each day and we are already daydreaming of days spent by the water, preferably with an ice-cold drink in our hands. And you know who else fancies a dip? Your dog! Whether it will be the first time they’ve hit the water or they’re just as excited to get back out there as you are, we’ve created a guide so you and your fur babe or babes can have the ultimate pool day. Let’s get started!
(image via: pool spa news)
The Benefits of Swimming
Aside from the fact that your dog probably finds swimming super fun, there are a number of reasons it’s a great idea to have water days.
- If your dog happens to be suffering from any kind of sprain or strain, being in the water just feels good because it takes all the pressure off. (Literally!)
- If you have a senior dog suffering from any kind of pain, again, being in the water will feel great to them because it takes all of the pressure off their little joints.
- Did your fur baby pack on a few pounds over the winter? It happens to the best of us. Luckily swimming is a great form of exercise.
Doggo Swimming Tips
As with any activity you have ever and will ever plan with your dog, there are a certain number of precautions you should take just to be safe!
- Consider a life jacket. If you have a new swimmer on your hands or maybe a not super confident swimmer, consider putting a little life jacket on your dog just in case they start to panic or need a little extra help.
- Bring fresh water for your dog. Of course, they will get a few licks of whatever body of water you may be in, but this isn’t always the safest option; so just make sure you have some fresh, cold water for your pet to enjoy.
- Watch for glass and metal.
- Dry their little ears and dry their fur. Forgetting to dry your dog’s ears can lead to infection, and not drying your dog’s fur can lead to hot spots and an uncomfortable journey home. We recommend talking to your vet before you head out on your swimming adventure regarding your dog’s ears and water
- Carry a first aid kit because accidents happen.
You didn’t think we were just going to skip over the fact that dog bikinis exist, did you?
Strawberry One-Piece (buy here!)
Pink Floral Bikini (buy here!)
Shark Life Jacket (buy here!)